Every year more and more people move to the United States in search of a better life. The country attracts immigrants with many jobs and opportunities to climb the career ladder. Foreigners can work in a variety of industries. The choice of occupation depends on the level of English, education, qualifications, and experience.
Explore the information on popular jobs for immigrants and how to find them with The Daily Buzz.
Many believe that jobs for new immigrants in high demand in the U.S. pay well. But, unfortunately, this is not entirely true. High-paying jobs are rarely available because demand is so high.
The situation is entirely different with jobs that pay little. These positions require a basic knowledge of English and involve mostly physical labor, the pay for which does not always satisfy workers. This is why there is a labor shortage.
The most in-demand jobs in the U.S. today:
- Retail salespeople. Earn an average of $22,000 yearly, about $10,000 less than the average salary.
- Restaurant, hospitality, and fast food industries. Salaries in this field range from $20,000 to $25,000 a year.
Among the popular professions that require education and experience, we highlight the following:
- medical personnel;
- office staff;
- interpreters and translators;
- mathematicians and analysts;
- elementary school teachers and tutors.
Keep in mind that medical professionals are required to have their credentials verified by the state where they will be working.
Some Professions Require a Certification
Many immigrants do not know that many occupations in the USA require a license. And this applies not only to the healthcare field. Professionals who work with people must also take short-term training and get a certificate. These include hairdressers, manicurists, cosmetologists, cab drivers, etc.
The license shows you have the necessary knowledge and skills and certifies that you passed the exam.
Specialists in other fields, such as accountants and lawyers, should also have a license. There is a $500-$5,000 fine for not having one.
You do not need a license to search for a job. However, you may have more job choices if you have a license.
There are different ways to find work for immigrants in the USA. The easiest and most accessible is to search through job sites. We have selected three excellent services to help you get a position in the States.
A simple and convenient portal specializing in jobs for immigrants in the USA. There are different offers on the site: cab drivers, babysitters, cleaners, IT specialists, and more.
Here you can post an ad about finding a job and your skills or use the job catalog and find a suitable option.
- A large pool of ads for job seekers and employers, each subject to mandatory moderation.
- Personal cabinet, where you can edit and deactivate posts and look at the statistics of views.
- Convenient and simple interactive map.
- Available apps for Android and iOS.
- Sort vacancies by category and city.
- 10 Telegram channels with vacancies in New York, Los Angeles, Miami, Philadelphia, and other cities in the States.
- Available only in four languages: English, Ukrainian, Polish, and Russian.
- Ads require regular updating so that job seekers can receive up-to-date information.
A web resource to help you get a job in your field. The main goal is to remove barriers to employment for skilled immigrants and integrate them into the U.S. professional workforce. Through training and communication, Upwardly Global helps immigrants find jobs in the States and reintegrate into their chosen professional fields.
- A detailed and well-structured professional licensure guide that provides a valuable resource for immigrants new to the United States.
- Partnerships with employers and the opportunity to provide coaching and assistance in the initial stages of resume submission and interviewing.
- Useful features, including resources on employment rules during COVID-19.
- Available only in 16 U.S. states: New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, California, Washington State, Washington D.C., Virginia, Maryland, Illinois, Indiana, Georgia, Texas, Ohio, Minnesota, Tennessee, or Wisconsin.
- Immigrants must be in the U.S. on a green card or approved visa for no more than 5 years.
- There is no option to search for job vacancies, like in a search engine.
A non-profit organization that helps immigrants and refugees. It is a hub of information about everything you might need when you start your new life in the States. USAHello has resources for everything from teaching children and adults to finding a job and learning about the legal system.
- This is an app that is available for Android and iOS.
- Detailed and concise interface.
- A convenient and clear map with addresses and phone numbers and an option to display where a particular place is.
- Available only in four languages: English, French, Arabic, and Spanish.
- Links to websites on the map may not work if not updated.
It is challenging to get the job you want in an American company because of the great competition and formalized job search and employment process. It is crucial to choose the most suitable “search strategy” for yourself, depending on your profession, skills, and personal qualities, and follow it.
Develop your professional skills and learn the language. Be prepared to “polish” your resume nonstop, have multi-step interviews, write, call, and remind yourself. This is the only way you can find a job that will bring you not only a good income but also be enjoyable.
The Daily Buzz combines the pursuit of interesting and intriguing facts with the innate human desire to rank and list things. From stereotypical cat pictures to crazy facts about the universe, every thing is designed to help you kill time in the most efficient manner, all while giving you something to either laugh at or think about!