Although we have developed technology that enables us to predict the possibility of a few natural calamities like hurricanes and cyclones, there are many disasters like earthquakes, floods; droughts can knock on your door at any point in time.
When such scenarios happen, it creates a situation of turmoil everywhere. But you should know the basic drill and mitigation process of any disaster.
It would help if you also kept some basic things ready all the time to be ready whenever such a situation arises. But the question that comes up is that how to prepare yourself for such a problem.
Here is a list of things you should be cared for and prepared for before any disaster!
1. Keep an Emergency Kit Ready
You should always keep an emergency kit ready all the time so that you can treat your family if any emergency arises during the disaster.
Having the first kit is essential to keep your family safe. It would help if you packed these things in a waterproof bag and store them at a place where it is easily accessible, and you can grab it easily and move out quickly.
You should also store food and water, which can suffice your three days’ need at least. Your emergency kit must have the following things:
- Drinking-Water (at least one to two gallons of water for each person per day)
- Non-Perishable food such as the canned food and packed food etc. which is ready to eat without cooking.
- A can opener
- A First aid kit with basic bandages, antiseptic cream, ointments, medicines.
- Portable flashlight and lanterns with spare batteries
- Portable radio to keep yourself updated about the condition.
- Sanitary supplies such as sanitizers, toilet paper, trash bags, moist towelettes, disinfectants.
- Map of the area
- It would help if you also kept the following things with yourself depending on your condition:
- Pet Food
- Baby Food, Bottles, and diapers
- Dry clothing and blankets
- Any prescribed medicine
2. Developing and Trying a Disaster Plan and
Disasters create havoc everywhere they go. During a disaster, you may even get separated, and thus, all the family members should have the knowledge to tackle such situations.
To do so, you need to prepare and execute a disaster plan to organize all your family members about disaster-appropriate behavior.
Include the following thing in your plan:
- Where will you take shelter when the disaster arrives.
- How to evacuate yourself in the disaster
- How will receive necessary emergency warnings and updates
- How will your family communicate with each other?
The following things are also essential and must be kept in mind:
- It would help if you enrolled yourself with weather alerts.
- Feed all the emergency numbers on all the mobile phones.
- Learn how to give first-aid and CPR.
- Decide a meeting point for our family if you get separated.
- Know about the escape route around your neighborhood and draw a rough map that you will follow to reach the required destination.
- Do not leave your pets behind, and make sure you give them ID tags so that they can reach you if they get misplaced.
3. Carry Essential Details and Documents With Yourself
Once the disaster has occurred, you need to take steps to restore your life to normal again.
You should have the basic information about your insurance policy, such as policy number, contact number of the office, things covered. If possible, try to keep a copy of your insurance policy with yourself.
You should know these details related to all the things such as home, car, and other relevant things which you have insured and may get damaged in the disaster.
You should know good restoration services in your area which can restore your house to its original condition.
Keep in mind that you should conduct thorough research before hiring a good restoration service. You should consider the companies’ experience, response time, location, and past results in the field.
Last Few words!
A disaster is a mentally and emotionally exhaustive process, and you must be optimistic all the time so that you can pass this time. Keep in mind that family is a strength, and you all need to stick with each other through this time.
The Daily Buzz combines the pursuit of interesting and intriguing facts with the innate human desire to rank and list things. From stereotypical cat pictures to crazy facts about the universe, every thing is designed to help you kill time in the most efficient manner, all while giving you something to either laugh at or think about!