First aid: care steps and rules – First aid is the immediate medical help offered to the ill or injured person until the professional help arrives. Almost everyone knows the importance of first aid but does not know how to give the proper first aid during an emergency. Before EMS (Emergency Medical Services) arrive, you may help save a life.
However, even though you take training, it is challenging to remember the appropriate first aid step and administer them properly. Thus, it makes people think about what is the purpose of the “care” step of first aid? Scroll down the page!
First Aid: Care Steps and Rules
Usually, the care step lets the person who is in charge of keeping the victim safe enough to ensure no further complications and issues. Confirming the stability of the area makes it much easier to administer and provide the proper procedure. In simple words, the primary objective of the care step is to maintain vital signs and then try to prevent the worsening of the person’s condition.
Principles of First Aid
- Preserve life that involves critical emergency practices to make sure that causality is not in any danger
- Use of the right first aid techniques and procedures
- Prevent deterioration of the victim’s condition
- Minimize the amount of time taken for the victim to recover from the accident
Steps Involved in First Aid
- As soon as you find someone in trouble, ask them whether they ok and take immediate action.
- Call 911 if you think that the victim needs professional assistance
- Ask them questions such as whether they are allergic to any medication and having any specific medical condition before getting into an unconscious state.
- Calm down the situation and help the injured person to reduce the overall stress level
- Apply the appropriate treatment before the medical professional arrives to the spot. Appling first-aid treatment helps the victim stabilize their condition. Check for consciousness, circulation, breathing, and bleeding. If the victim finds difficulty in breathing, provide CPR immediately
How to Do CPR?
- Ensure the patient is lying on their back on the firm surface and place your hand above the chest
- Interlock your finders and provide the chest compressions
- Open the airway and give rescue breaths
- Look for chest fall
- Repeat chest compressions and then rescue breaths until the victim breathe
Reasons for the Importance of First Aid
First aid knowledge is highly beneficial for both individuals and the community. It enables people to help persons injured in the accident or emergency until professional help arrives. Usually, first aid skills can apply in public locations, homes or workplaces. You can become first aid certified to help people in the worst situation.
The importance of first aid is tough to overestimate. Did you know that the human brain takes only 6minutes to expire because of lack of oxygen? This is why knowing the exact way to help the person is mandatory.
First Aid: Care Steps and Rules
- Access the systematic approach in all kind of medical emergencies without fail
- Handle the situation quickly without any confusion
- Call emergency number as soon as you recognize the problem
- Find and avoid the risk to yourself, third parties and the affected person
- Be smart and take the necessary actions immediately
Things Accessible in the First Aid Kit
The first aid kit is majorly accessed for treating various types of minor traumatic injuries such as strains, splinters, cuts, burns, abrasions, and stings. So, the first aid kit contains the following essential items.
- Sam splint
- Medical tape
- CPR pocket mask
- Roller gauze
- 4*4 gauze pads
- Two triangular bandages
What to Do to Treat Wounds?
Firstly, rinse the wound or cut with water. Next, apply some pressure with the sterile gauze, clean cloth or bandage. Place another bandage on the top of the injury if the blood soaks through the bandage.
Do not forget to apply the pressure until the blood stops to come. Raise the injured person’s body to slow down the bleeding. Once the bleeding stops, use the new and bandage to cover the wound.
How to Manage the First Aid Situation
First aid is straightforward because you are going to do ABS firstly – airway, breathing and circulation. Then, you have to respond and take the necessary actions quickly to stop the problem from worsening and putting the victim’s life at risk. Regardless of the situation, you should apply the DRSABCD plan, which is often standing for danger.
Yes! Checking the danger to you, injured or ill person, and bystanders are highly mandatory. By doing these things, you can manage the first aid situation calmly and save the injured person’s life.
Know About ABC in First Aid
As said before, ABC’s of first aid is the airwar, breathing and circulation. You have to check these primary things while approaching the victim. Before CPR, it is necessary to make sure that the airway is clear. Next, see whether the victim is breathing normally and adequately. Finally, check for the circulations such as pulse or temperature of the hands.
Responsibilities of the First Aider
If you wish to provide first aid for the injured or ill person, then you have enough understanding of your responsibilities and duties. It lets you travel on the right path and saves someone’s life. Here are the duties of the first aider.
- Assess the situation instantly and calmly obtain the understanding of what happened
- Stay calm and protect yourself before taking the charge
- Safeguard the casualty from the danger
- Prevent the spread of infection between you and casualty
- Assess the injured person and provide necessary care
When Does Someone Require First Aid?
Knowing the right situation to provide the first aid for the victim is essential. Plenty of reasons are there in which a person experiences the health issue. Firstly, the presence of injuries such as wounds, burns and much more. Next, the systems in the body may start to trouble and not functioning well.
It includes the lungs, brain, heart, intestines and stomach. Finally, the person has ongoing health issues such as heart condition, asthma, diabetes, seizure activity, pregnancy, etc. These are the significant situations in which people need first aid.
When Should You Offer First Aid?
- Whenever someone is seriously injured or ill
- Someone tries to commit suicide or gets assaulted
- Not sure what to do in the emergency
Once you have decided to provide the first aid, ensure you wear personal protective equipment (PPE).
So, you understand what is the purpose of the “care” step of first aid? Try to get first aid training to help needy people at the right time.
The Daily Buzz combines the pursuit of interesting and intriguing facts with the innate human desire to rank and list things. From stereotypical cat pictures to crazy facts about the universe, every thing is designed to help you kill time in the most efficient manner, all while giving you something to either laugh at or think about!