Nowadays, in the era of Internet solutions, people literally look for tutorials regarding anything. They can cook a pie following certain steps without having any cooking knowledge.
They can learn languages. The same concerns the installation practices when it comes to household appliances.
Today, we are going to review key steps involved in how to install an electric tankless water heater when you are not so tech-savvy. Otherwise, we would like to recommend you proceed with finding a contractor that will deal with such routine installations in a moment.
Approaching the Installation of Electric Tankless Water Heater
As was said above, finding a contractor is the best idea because you may make lots of mistakes. With the help of Noritz Contractorfinder, you can be deprived of hustle and bustle, and have the fastest installation of the electric tankless water heater in your life. Okay, now let’s move to the actual tips.
First off, you will need to decide on the appropriate place to allocate your water heater. Logically to assume, you have to mount it in the place where you use hot water the most, so you will avoid long waits.
Luckily for you, electric water heaters won’t require any venting. Beyond that, such tankless units are compact and can be placed where a tank system cannot be mounted.
Tips for the Places Where to Allocate Your Electric Tankless Water Heater:
- Avoid locations where your water heater can be occasionally splashed with liquids;
- Avoid places where the freezing temperature is present on a regular basis;
- Avoid places with excessive moisture and humidity.
If you violate those basic tips, your water heater will be tied to possible issues and regular repairs that may cost a lot of money if not covered with the warranty. Do also remember the importance of regular maintenance.
Then, prior to the installation, you obviously need to read the manufacturer’s specifications. Find the product manual and learn whether there are any other “contraindications” for the installation to keep in mind.
If you read the manual and are afraid of violating the warranty or experiencing possible dangers, finding a contractor is the best decision to prevent injuries.
Now, When You Find the Place and Are Sure You Can Deal With It All Alone, Follow the Next Steps:
- Turn off all circuit breakers involved;
- Turn off the major water supply;
- If applicable, you have to drain as well as disconnect your old unit;
- Take the new unit, and remove the applicable screws which secure its cover;
- Remove the front cover. Note, you may also need to remove few plugs before setting them aside;
- Now, based on your place choice, mount the unit to the wall. There should be necessary screws and anchors in the package;
- Establish cold and hot water connections. If you use a stainless steel flex pipe with Teflon tape, it is a piece of cake. Otherwise, use PEX tubing. If there is a need to cut into a pipe, you should first clean the edges. After that, flush the pipes before the actual connection to the water heater system. Experts do also recommend installing a shut-off valve before/after the unit so that you can switch on the water supply to it for maintenance purposes without turning off the water supply across your whole household;
- Open hot water outlets for a moment to purge air from the pipes and the unit. Meanwhile, you have to also double-check the connections for the presence of leaks;
- Close the outlets;
- Make electrical connections with the unit on one side, and the electric panel on the other. Refer to the manufacturer’s manual. For instance, small systems can be easily connected to a single circuit using a 6/2 AWG wire. Large units may need 2-3 separate circuits. Cut wire set to length and strip, and feed it via the holes on the bottom of the water heater. Attach it to the designated slots on the terminal block;
- Check the electrical connections. Double-check whether you did not puzzle different wire sets;
- Put the front cover back on the unit;
- Switch on the circuit breakers.
Now, your electric tankless water heater should be operating. All the further steps will be dependent on your preferences. It particularly concerns your needs or desires regarding the temperature. To check the water heater for its running, open a hot water outlet, and wait until the temperature is warm. That’s it.
During the installation, you may come across some issues with leaks or air in the pipes. The basic recommendation is to again refer to the manufacturer’s manuals.
There should be instructions on how to prevent the issues, or what to do when they appear. If you believe you cannot deal with the issue, finding a contractor may resolve it all. Note, on some occasions, people who neglect the precautions may cause damage to the water heaters, and it may result in a violation of the warranty.
Then, it is worth speaking of the permits applicable. Normally, homeowners can proceed with installation all alone. Yet, some states will make you pull a designated permit to ensure you have a safe place for that without any risks to your health and life, and others.
In this case, you may need to call a technician who will come to inspect the spot and give recommendations on the installation. The same concerns the replacement of your old units with new ones.
In the event that you installed your water heater, and it does not provide you with the desired temperature, please again refer to the manufacturer’s manual.
Or, double-check whether you followed all the above-mentioned steps correctly. If still nothing, do not try to perform new actions that can cause damage or affect the running of water within your household.
All in all, follow these steps and have the easiest installation of the appliance. For all the other inquiries, do always refer to professionals.
The Daily Buzz combines the pursuit of interesting and intriguing facts with the innate human desire to rank and list things. From stereotypical cat pictures to crazy facts about the universe, every thing is designed to help you kill time in the most efficient manner, all while giving you something to either laugh at or think about!