Advertisement campaigns have long sought to lure consumers through whatever offensive tactics happen to float through their mind.
When I walk through Times Square and see practically naked men with airbrushed abs the size of a small village and voluptuous lips throwing me kisses from LED screens larger than my house, I feel berated where ever I go to buy some product that I "can't possibly live without." But when we take a look back at advertisements from the past, those naked men and LED lips somehow seem tame. When revisited today, these vintage ads pass the point of mildly insulting and venture into downright offensive if not simply derogatory. Not to be that preachy guy at the party, but let us use these as subtle a reminder of how far we have come, and how far we have to go in the fight against systemic inequalities...and have a good laugh with the grandparents in the meantime.
1. The underline and exclamation point really drive the offensiveness home.
2. I wasn't kidding you guys. And, yes, these ads are real.
3. Let us hope the men who wrote this ad have spent the rest of their nights on the couch.
4. The sad thing is, he is trying to be nice.
5. These fake statistics give a bad name to scientists everywhere.
6. Not wasting any time getting all offensive now, are we?
7. Exploitation at its finest.
8. Let's ignore the sexism and just say this is completely false. A mixer does far from "everything."
9. The Soda Pop Board of America has some explaining to do...
10. Thankfully, we've not only cracked down on domestic abuse, but also stale coffee. Phew!
11. Excuse me while I go vomit.
12. Is jail sexier than I think, too?
13. Wait, but this joke is still around today. Let's fix that.
14. Laughably irresponsible.
15. Nothin' like a good innuendo to inspire a poll of how often this has worked. I'm betting on a zero percent success rate.
16. Everything about this is scary! But mostly, what is that supposed to be on the screen? All that comes to mind is terrible STDs.
17. Well, at least these are the ties that get made fun of in the office break room now.
18. Subtlety was never one of Sega's strong points.
19. What the hell was that fund even for?
20. This makes me shake my head but also want to bring back the word "fanny".
21. Yes. That is what we mean. Because she has hands...just like a man.
22. And while you're at it, go...do something else...by yourself. (This comment has been edited for offensive language).
23. Could he be any creepier eating that cake?
24. Sega's at it again...
25. Who's idea was this? They have a sick mind.
26. The look she's giving her says it all.
27. The X's are more abrasive than her BO could ever be.
28. It is mind blowing that someone not only came up with this idea, but that someone else green lighted it to be printed!
29. "Papa says it won't hurt us."
30. That's not a "simple" look. That's the look you give someone while deciding if you're going to punch them in the face with all those rings on or off.